'Inverey', 38 Thorn Road, Bearsden, Glasgow, G61 4BS
- Detached red sandstone villa situated in one of Old Bearsden’s most prized addresses
- Located just north of ‘The Cross’ and its many amenities
- Tremendous potential to add value and become that ‘forever home’
- Requiring a significant programme of investment – price and survey reflected
- Highly adaptable layout across eight/nine principal apartments
- Floor area of approximately 2,231 sq. ft
- Level garden plot with gated entryway leading to driveway
- Ideally positioned for access to the area’s fantastic public and private schooling facilities
A notably handsome detached stone villa dating from the late 19th century that is set in the very heart of Bearsden’s prestigious conservation area. A property brimming with inherent value and abundant potential for any incoming purchaser to remodel and redecorate according to taste. A rare opportunity for a wide cross section of purchasers looking to acquire a period of home of considerable charm and distinction.
Over time, the property had been split into two separate conversions and, subsequently, reinstated to the sizeable original single dwelling as originally intended. Key period features such as ornate cornicework, original doorways and architraves, and stained glasswork at the entry door all contribute to the traditional charm of the property. Entry is granted, initially, via an imposing double storm door entryway, with an entrance vestibule and inner door offering access to the accommodation beyond which can be best summarised as:-
Welcoming reception hallway with staircase, spacious sitting room with bay window and feature fireplace as focal point, dining room, through to galley-style kitchen, study, inner hall and side porch, shower room and breakfast room with courtesy door out to the rear garden. The staircase leads to the upper level of the property, with the mid landing providing access to a family bathroom and utility area. The full landing gives way to the four very well-proportioned double bedrooms (with the main two bedrooms featuring fireplaces with ornate surrounds) along with a smaller apartment which is traditionally set up as a further nursery bedroom (currently containing the remnants from a now defunct kitchen).
Externally, established hedging set to the front border above stone wall provides a privacy screen, with iron security gating offering pedestrian and vehicular access to the plot from either side. The level plot is laid mainly to lawn, with sections of stone paving and a detached garage also to be found. Along with an internal programme of refurbishment, any incoming purchaser would most likely wish carry out their own landscaping and planting to the garden.
The house is located just north of Bearsden Cross and, therefore, the excellent amenities, shops, including an M&S Foodhall, quality butchers, fishmongers & independent retailers, cafes, restaurants, pharmacies, banks and a post office are literally on one’s doorstep. Bearsden Primary is close by on Drymen Road, with secondary catchment at the excellent Bearsden Academy at Courthill, ranked seventh in Scotland in a 2019 league table. Also within Bearsden, and two streets away on Ledcameroch Road, is the junior school for the private High School of Glasgow and, on Duntocher Road, the newly opened premises of St. Nicholas’ Primary. Just south of the Cross is Bearsden Railway Station with four trains per hour providing a link to the West End and an eighteen-minute commute to the City Centre. A service continues to Edinburgh Waverley.
This traditional home is a significant property at this price-point. It presents, clearly, a great opportunity for those families looking to acquire a handsome traditional family home in the area, with the scope to stamp one’s own mark upon.
Sat Nav: G61 4BS
165 Milngavie Road
General Remarks and Information
By appointment through Rettie Bearsden,
165 Milngavie Road, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G61 3DY
Telephone 0141 943 3150
Fixtures and Fittings:
Only items specifically mentioned in the particulars of sale are included in the sale price.
Offers should be submitted in Scottish Legal Form to the selling agents Rettie & Co. A closing date by which offers must be submitted may be fixed later. Please note that interested parties are advised to register their interest with the selling agents in order that they may be advised should a closing date be set. The seller reserves the right to accept any offer at any time.
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.onthemarket.com, www.thelondonoffice.co.uk and www.rightmove.co.uk.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves:
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Rettie Bearsden, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
- They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
- Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. Any rooms with coombed ceilings will be measured at floor level and the text will reflect the nature of the ceilings. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or mis-statement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie & Co have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
- All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.