| Caoldarach, Drymen, Stirlingshire, G63 0EB
· An exceptional Country Home, circa 1935.
· One of Scotland’s few thatched properties.
· Grounds of 2.75 acres or thereby, stunning views to Loch Lomond.
· Five bedrooms, approximately 3,572ft2 (332m2).
· On private road just to north of village.
· Impressive kitchen, bathroom, and en-suite.
Only three owners have been fortunate to call Caoldarach home since it was built in 1935, our clients since 1992. Situated high above Drymen village, on a private road (known as Coldrach Farm Road). It sits amidst formal and wooded grounds of approximately 2.75 acres and provides fine south-westwards view over the Strathendrick Valley and a wonderful westward aspect to Loch Lomond.
It is a property full of period character and is one of Scotland’s few thatched residences. Our clients had the house, and the garage outbuilding, re-thatched in 2007 with premium grade Water Reed Thatch (thatch lifespan – 40 to 50 years), the quality of craftsmanship evident and impressive.
The house has been extended to the rear providing a two-storey wing, the design integrating seamlessly with the original house.
Caoldarach is a family home for a generation, and it would be hard to find another offering such character and location. The village, with its excellent little Primary School and local shops, is just a short walk down Old Gartmore Road. The city of Glasgow is within 17 miles, Stirling 22 miles and Edinburgh just over an hour away, 60 miles.
The house sits proudly amidst its grounds with the immediate formal gardens lying to lawn, including a pond. In the springtime the grounds are a mass of daffodils and the rhododendrons, which flank the driveway, provide a blaze of colour in Spring and early Summer. Adjacent to all of this is an expanse of woodland, all providing a wonderland for children to explore and play, all the while with farmland to front and rear and with those stunning views towards Loch Lomond.
The subjects retain much of the original features including oak floors, oak ceiling beams, Suffolk latch doors and there are seven fireplaces, all with open fires. Our clients commissioned Murray & Murray to design the traditional handmade bespoke dining kitchen and Victor Paris were engaged to install the two very impressive bathrooms, both contemporary in design. Windows are double glazed, central heating is oil fired (two inter-connected Worcester Bosch Boilers, serviced early 2021) with the property on private drainage, mains electricity and pumped mains water.
The extension has provided the facility, if so required, for a relative/guest wing (see floor plan) – providing Lounge, Kitchen (current utility room) with an upstairs bedroom or two. Overall, the accommodation is summarised as follows.
Entrance Vestibule; Reception Hall; Cloakroom with WC compartment; bay windowed Lounge with double aspect; bay window Dining Room with double aspect; large Family Room with an area for informal dining and with a wood burner stove at the focal point; a little Playroom with French door off the family room (would make a nice little office); an inner hallway with pantry store (WHB) leads to the kitchen; country style pine Dining Kitchen with granite worktops and a green Aga. At the dining area there are two Welsh dressers (also by Murray & Murray); rear Hallway, with a top quality fitted bespoke handmade Larder, leads to the rear hall and back door; large Utility/Laundry Room (fitted as a kitchen); Informal Lounge with French door and windows to rear garden.
A fine staircase (dog legged) ascends to a galleried upper hall which has a broad window taking in the view to Loch Lomond; Principal Bedroom Suite – incorporates main Bedroom, a large en-suite Dressing Room, with wash hand basin, off which is the impressive en-suite Bathroom – contemporary Duravit suite (WC, whb, bath) and an oversized ‘wet zone’ shower enclosure with a powerful Hansgrohe thermostatic shower (both Deluge and handheld showerheads); Bedrooms 2 and 3 are fine rooms, both with wash hand basins; Bedrooms 4 and 5 are inter-connected; main Bathroom – a large family bathroom, again very contemporary in design, with a large ‘His & Hers’ wash stand with two basins and a granite top, a superb free standing bath by Victoria & Albert, Duravit WC and a large ‘wet zone’ shower enclosure with another Hansgrohe thermostatic shower (Deluge and handheld showerheads). Note: Both bathrooms have underfloor heating and there is excellent use of low voltage ceiling downlighters and discreet LED feature lights.
A substantial detached garage block includes a large double garage (two remote controlled garage doors, power, light and both internal and external water points, floored loft), a further tractor/tool garage, wood store, workshop and three storerooms.
Drymen is in South Stirlingshire and falls within The Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. The village has its Primary School with secondary provision at Balfron High. Private schooling is available in Glasgow (Glasgow High, Glasgow Academy, Kelvinside Academy and St Aloysius’ College) with Lomond School at Helensburgh (about 16 miles). The village has two Hotels (one with a swimming pool and leisure facility), some local shops, a Health Centre and Scotland’s oldest pub – The Clachan (1734). It has two Golf Courses – The Strathendrick and Buchanan Castle Golf Club. Drymen is the eastern Gateway to Loch Lomond – Great Britain’s largest inland water expanse, a wonderful escape for boating and water sports. As detailed earlier, Glasgow, Stirling and Edinburgh are within reach. The nearest main areas for shopping, beyond those facilities in Drymen, would be Milngavie and Bearsden (about 11 miles) or at Balloch (8 miles).
An exceptional property in an exceptional location.
SAT NAV REF: G63 0EB
Caoldarach is the fifth property on the Coldrach Farm Road.
165 Milngavie Road
General Remarks and Information
By appointment through Rettie Bearsden,
165 Milngavie Road, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G61 3DY
Telephone 0141 943 3150
Fixtures and Fittings:
Only items specifically mentioned in the particulars of sale are included in the sale price.
Offers should be submitted in Scottish Legal Form to the selling agents Rettie & Co. A closing date by which offers must be submitted may be fixed later. Please note that interested parties are advised to register their interest with the selling agents in order that they may be advised should a closing date be set. The seller reserves the right to accept any offer at any time.
This property and other properties offered by Rettie & Co can be viewed on our website at www.rettie.co.uk as well as our affiliated websites at www.onthemarket.com, www.thelondonoffice.co.uk and www.rightmove.co.uk.
Servitude Rights, Burdens & Wayleaves:
The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
Rettie Bearsden, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
- They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
- Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. Any rooms with coombed ceilings will be measured at floor level and the text will reflect the nature of the ceilings. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or mis-statement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Rettie & Co have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
- All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.